Monday, July 26, 2010

Meat Loaf

I know that not everyone is a meat loaf fan- but my family really is. All of us really like it and I really like this recipe. It has shredded carrots in it so they get some extra veggies hidden in it.
Meat Loaf
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (I always us the leanest you can buy- usually the 90 or 93% lean)
1 egg beaten
2/3 cup milk
3 slices bread crumbled up really small (I always use wheat bread and break it up very small instead of blending it and making crumbs)
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 med. onion, chopped
2 med. carrots, shredded
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Combine all ingredients together and put in a 9 X5X3 in. loaf pan. Cook at 350 for 60-75 min. or until meat thermometer reads 160. The last 15 min I make a sauce and put it on the top. The original recipe says place it on there the whole time, but I think you loose less sauce if you put it on at the end and just let the brown sugar melt and get hot.
Sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 TBSP mustard
(the original recipe calls for half of this (I double the sauce) but we think it's better with doubled sauce- the recipe above is already doubled)

1 comment:

old mother hubbard said...

sounds nummy. lets make that when we come. grandma nana